Sunday, August 1, 2010

36 hours in

So I realized after I got here that I wouldn't be able to access my own blog--one of the many sites that is firewalled in China. I seem to have found a temporary way around it. I hope it lasts!

Most people have received an email update from me so I won't go into too much detail. For the most part, I am transitioning pretty well. I have been counting the small victories, and they are what keep me going! Avoiding a superfluous charge for a broken tail light on a cab, refusing to be overcharged for a hotel room, getting my US phone to unlock and read Chinese characters, finding a place to live, successfully getting extra pages put into my passport, and having a couch to sleep on until I move into the apt I will be renting! All in a 36 hour period. I'm pretty proud of myself :D Now I just have to get my visa changed to a work visa so I can finally start the research! Easier said than done. Fingers crossed everyone! I'm really hoping I don't have to leave China to get it switched. But if I do--those of you in HK, Taiwan, or Korea, if you've got a couch to sleep on, let me know!!

Other than that, I cannot complain. The smog is a little heavy for my taste, but I'm sure my lungs will adjust accordingly. The firewall placed on Facebook, Youtube, blogspot and I'm sure some other sites is inconvenient, but hey, all for the sake of productivity right? :)

Will post more next time...if I can get to this site again!

1 comment:

  1. i love that all of your blog posts from now on will not only be informative but sticking it the [chinese] man.

    ReplyDelete