Friday, November 26, 2010

"Crazy Bad"

So it has been brought to my attention recently that the US Embassy has a twitter page to follow entitled BeijingAir.  It's a Twitter page dedicated to informing you on the air quality in Beijing hourly.  After checking it today, it makes a lot more sense why I had to use my inhaler twice last week.  I mean I normally have trouble breathing after coming back from the gym (since the only other patrons there are a bunch of unemployed men who smoke leisurely next to my treadmill as they enjoy a game of pool), but last week was particularly bad.  I remember making a joke to one of my colleagues that my eyeballs were rejecting the pollution because I could not stop my eyes from tearing.  Now I know that I probably wasn't too far from the "Crazy Bad" truth. 

Makes you wonder...do you think that at the end of my 10 months here in Beijing, I'll have developed super-human lungs so when I go back to the states and immerse myself in oxygen, I'll be like those people who train at higher altitudes for marathons?

*Shush to all you fellow medical students out there who are already denying me of my dreams of gold medaling.  yeah yeah I know, CO binds with a higher affinity to Hgb than O2, and it'll be more likely for me to end up in the hospital rather than on a podium in the near future, but can't a girl dream?  ;)

I'm assuming "Beyond Index" was where "Crazy Bad" may have been! 

When I first checked the twitter site, I was worried since the index has  been hovering around "Unhealthy" for a while, but then I guess it's all relative since just last week it was at "Very Unhealthy", "Hazardous", and "Beyond Index".  I guess I can't complain about "Unhealthy".

No comments:

Post a Comment