Saturday, October 9, 2010

Back in BJ

That stands for Beijing for all y'all who needed that clarification!  They actually have shirts here that say I <3 BJ.  haha. 

Anyway, I'm jetlagged once again..yuck!  I'm back to waking up at 3 AM.  Somehow it's not so bad this time around.  It's probably because I have all this SAS MPH coursework to catch up on. 

Work is a little better.  I arrived in Beijing on Friday afternoon and found out I had to work yesterday (Saturday).  That was a welcome back to Beijing treat for me!  In China, people don't really have holidays.  It's not like the states where you look forward to 2 weeks off for winter vacation or a three day weekend for Labor Day.  No, not here.  For everyday you get off work for a holiday here, you've already made up that time (or will make it up) by working on the weekends.  So most recently, there was October National Holiday here in China from the 1st to the 7th.  Depending on the company, people will be working 1-2 days of the weekend for a while to make up for the "week they got off".  How much does that suck?  I really don't want to work here unless it's for an NGO/NPO or the embassy or for some international corporation.  Then you get twice as many holidays ;)  As long as one country is on vacation, you can't get anything done right?  :D

I was happy to have had dinner with Dr. Qian my States-side principal investigator (PI).  He is here visiting China with Dr. Heimburger of FICRS (the fellowship I'm on).  It was good to see familiar faces of people who may be able to understand some of the frustrations I have thus far in Beijing.  It was also at this Sichuan restaurant that provided a preforming arts show while you ate.  I've posted some pictures below of this crazy "acrobat" girl.  She just bends in ways that look absolutely painful!  I really didn't know people could bend like that.  It was actually really disturbing and mildly unappetizing.

Anyway, check out the pics below.  Other than that, send me an email or post how things are going for you!!  I need a boost for Beijing Round Two.


Below is some paranormal activity for you:

 Her butt is on her head!!!


That is some good balance right there!

1 comment:

  1. Apparently they start training from like age 2. And once they get to 15 or 16, they're too old. This girl was 12, we asked the waiter. Whew!

    ReplyDelete